Sunday 3 January 2010





Well the New Year is here and what better way to start it than with a bit of sewing.


I was lucky enough to be brought "Bend the rules Sewing" by Amy Karol as a birthday present, off my sister-in-law, just before Christmas, thanks Cat xx(http://ladybugcat.blogspot.com/). So what better way to start the new year than a new project. So here's my interpretation of Amys design.
The patchwork bag is for my grandmothers 84th birthday present. It has the added extra something special...two of the patchwork squares decorated by my little monsters (aged 6 & 9). The other tote is for my Mother-in-laws 70th birthday and again has two panels decorated by Natasha & Richard. I made this tote larger so that she can use it for shopping. The lining on this bag matches the straps and panel on the bottom. All the fabric is re-cycled, my old bedroom curtains for the lining and straps and Richards old curtains for the main bag, so really you could say that these bags are "green".
Both bags gave me major headaches.....on the first bag I couldn't work out for love "n" money how to join the main bag to the lining bag.....but after leaving it to one side for an hour, having a glass of wine and reading about other peoples attempts on www.flickr.com in the Bend the Rules sewing group, I figured it out.... not defeated after all!
The next day I was going great guns on the next bag till it got to attaching the straps....I think I must of been having a senior moment ( I blame it on turning 40 just before Christmas) three times it took me before I got it right. Lets just hope that next time I manage to get it right first time......keep your fingers crossed for me, I think I'll need it :)

2 comments:

  1. They look fantastic! I am sure Nan and Jacquie will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie maybe, not so sure about Nan, you know what a fussy bugger she is!

    ReplyDelete