Natasha's teacher, Sarah Cave, recently gave birth to a baby boy, Joab. When Sarah left the school to go on maternity leave we brought her a present but nothing for her baby. I got myself organsied and brought some baby sleepsuits and vests, along with some pink and some blue gingham fabric. Then it was just a case of sitting tight waiting for baby to make his/her apperance. Baby eventually made it into the world after a long and hard labour, on the 17th July 2009, it was a few days before he was named: Joab Areon Knight. Iwas then able to get busy and make a present for baby Joab. I was pleased with the end results as it was the first appliquing I'd done. I had a lovely message off Sarah & Joab saying how much they appreicated the gifts too, so that made all the hard work worth while.
Monday, 31 August 2009
After finishing Natasha's duvet and curtains I was inspired to have a go at making a peg bag from this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sew-Fabulous-Fabric-Charming-Fabrics . I found some old curtains that I'd taken down out of Richards room for the main fabric and then used some blue and white gingham left over from another project for the lining. The clothes were made from some scraps my mum had brought me form our local Quilting Shop.
I don't really know where to start if I'm honest, I've never done anything like this before! I was inspired by reading my sister-in-laws blog (Cat - ladybug) so I thought why not give it a go.
I have recently been bitten by the sewing bug, and was fortunate enough to be given a sewing machine by a friend of mine - this has now taken up residence in my kitchen diner, so now when ever I want to sew it's sat there ready and waiting for me. We are just coming to the end of our Summer School holidays in the UK ( I work in a school as a teaching assistant). During our time off ,my daughter, Natasha aged 5 and myself have designed and made a duvet cover and curtains for her bedroom. I got Natasha to draw some pictures for me of things that she'd like on her duvet/curtains and then I made patterns of them, before appliquing them on.
We were both really pleased the end result, especially Natasha, as she can now see her drawings turned into something special. We finished the project off with a appliqued picture of her and our pet dog Bumble the Golden retriever.